Thursday, July 11, 2013

Coming Down From a Publishing High

Thursday is upon me and the week has been weird. I always go through a down period once I publish a book. After Damaged and the Beast, I also had to worry about sales and reviews (you know, because I actually had sales and reviews).

Well, Damaged and the Knight has sold well in its first few days and been received positively by fans of Beast. Even a few readers who didn't like the first book enjoyed Knight. My goal is obviously to improve with every one I write.

On Saturday, it'll be a year since I published Blood Tide. During that time, I tried new writing techniques such as first person POV. This was something I didn't love in the past, but the key seems to be to avoid starting every sentence with "I."

Genre-wise, I tried my hand at young adult, horror, fantasy, and romance. I learned how releasing too many series at one time will put an author behind on sequels. Mostly, I accepted how I need to settle down and focus on a few ideas, instead of writing every a-ha that pops into my head.

This year, I made many great friends - readers and authors alike. I've joined the readers' rights movement. I also learned how to blog. This one was the most difficult. When a blogger starts out, no one is really reading their stuff and it feels pretentious to write to nobody.

Eventually, I realized I would have more fun blogging if I blogged about other authors. Indie Angie stopped being my personal blog and became a showcase for indie authors. Even though I fall behind on my five blogs, I also have periods when it's all I do with my days. Best of all, after months of blogging, I feel less dorky writing my personal stuff down.

I'm currently working on Blue Awakening and it's a sad book in the beginning. I'm surprised by how quickly I jumped back into Blue's head and her world. On the days I have trouble with Blue, I work on Gigi and Vivi. The former is maybe a fourth complete while the latter is over half. My biggest goal is publishing Micah this month. I'd like to build the Dakota brand.

I plan to write a multi-part blog about branding as an indie author. I've learned a ton about this concept over the last year. Hadn't really thought about it when I first published, so I used my name for all seven of my books in different genres. Now, having worked as Bijou, I see the benefit of pen names and branding.

I also need to finish my "Why I Read Negative Reviews" series for the Indie Angie blog. It's been months since my last post and I need to light a fire under my ass.

This week, I planned to write a "Be the Best BBA You Can Be" post for the Whisperer blog. I wanted to profile Krazy Monkey Ass, yet publishing Knight distracted me.

I will write up the Weekly Whiny Whiner Update. Right now, it looks like we'll have Mary Lame back in the mocklight. Other recent raging asshats have passed their expiration date, so we'll skip them. Besides, Lame messed with my girl Grim and that shit is never cool. Still, wouldn't it be great if we could get through the week with only Mary Lame to mock?

I want to thank Miranda again for all of her support over the last few months. She not only beta reads my books and helps me run the BBA Whisperer group and blog. Miranda also gives me plenty of pep talks and advice. She's still my Sweet Chick from the Netherlands.

I'll finish off this post with more happy dancing to celebrate Knight's release!

No comments:

Post a Comment